LeBron James and the two-time NBA champion Miami Heat were the big winners at Wednesday night’s ESPY Awards held at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. In addition to winning Male Athlete of the Year, James also captured the Best NBA Player award, while the Heat took home Best Team and Best Game. Also, head coach Eric Spoelstra was voted Coach/Manager of the Year. Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson and all-time Olympic medal winner Michael Phelps were also multiple winners during the annual sports award gala.
Miesha Tate, Courtney Force and others pose for
ESPN Body Issue
Actor Jon Hamm hosted the event, with a veritable “Who’s Who” of the sports and entertainment world serving as presenters. Probably the biggest reaction was for Dodgers phenom Yasiel Puig appearing with Olympic champion Gabby Douglas to present the Play Of the Year Award to South Carolina’s Jadaveon Clowney. Danica Patrick, Colin Kaepernick, Ben Affleck, Sean “Diddy” Combs and Russell Wilson were just a few of the more than two dozen presenters. Affleck delivered a moving introduction to Boston father-and-son Dick and Rick Hoyt, who’ve competed in 31 Boston Marathons with Dick, the father, pushing his son Rick, who has cerebral palsy, in a wheelchair. Their determination earned them the Jimmy V Award to a standing ovation. The coveted Arthur Ashe Courage Award went to Robin Roberts, the former ESPN and Good Morning America personality who has battled breast cancer for several years. First Lady Michelle Obama (via video hookup) and LeBron James presented the ESPY to Roberts. Another emotional moment occurred when 7-year old Jack Hoffman, afflicted with pediatric cancer, was voted winner of the Best Moment Award for his “touchdown” during Nebraska’s Spring Game.
Other notable winners at the 21st annual ESPY Awards were: Best Upset- Florida Gulf Coast over Georgetown, Comeback of the Year- Peterson, Breakthrough Award-Kaepernick, and Best Male and Female College Athletes- Johnny Manziel and Brittany Griner.
5. Danica Patrick — Patrick is the classic “Tough Girl Hottie”. She can drive a stick better than you, probably throw a ball farther, and you don’t care because she just looks good doing it. Danica’s gold-laced dress made her look like half Xena: Warrior Princess and half supermodel.
4. Win McMurry — The Golf Channel reporter showed up with Michael Phelps but there is no doubt her best accompaniment was the sizzling red dress she wore. Win walked down the runway with the refined hotness of a little red Corvette. She might not be the most popular TV Sports personality, but Win is an undeniable scorcher.
3. Alex Morgan — A member of the lesser-known U.S. Olympic Soccer Team, Morgan could easily have been mistaken for Victoria’s Secret model as she strutted down the ESPY aisles. If Morgan’s mini-skirt outfit from the ESPY’s Party didn’t leave your jaw on the floor, her dress from last night did.
2. Katherine Webb — Webb might not be an athlete but she’s just too hot to be left off this list. Webb’s bombshell-blue-eyes will buckle your knees quicker than a Halladay Curveball and her body curves just the same. The futuristic blue dress Webb donned made her look like Katniss Everdeen’s hotter sister.
1. And the ESPY Goes to… Lolo Jones — Jones graced down the Red Carpet hotter and faster than the first fifty meters of a race. Nothing is sexier than a girl who takes care of her body and Jones is a perfect ten. Classy and sexy is hard to beat, but throw in her sense of style and quirky personality, and Jones is an easy No. 1.