1/2 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
5 tbsp. sugar-free brown sugar
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. rice vinegar
4 (10 oz.) packages snow peas
4 tablespoons EV olive oil
2 packages (10 oz.) white button mushrooms, sliced thin
7 thinly sliced cuts of beef (sirloin steak strips, flank steak)
5 cups organic white rice
Make the rice. In a large stove top pot, add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and reduce heat to low. Cover pot to keep the steam inside, about 25-35 minutes. Rice will be firm but tender. Fluff the rice with a spoon or a fork, and let it sit.
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add thinly sliced mushrooms and snow peas. Cook them on high heat, turning occasionally, until browned. Salt midway.
3. Remove these veggies to a bowl.
4. To the same skillet, on high heat, add 2 more tbsp. of olive oil. Add thinly sliced meat. (NOTE: Do this in 2 batches, to enable each slice of meat to touch the bottom of the skillet and for meat slices not to be crowded.) Cook meat on one side until it browns.
5. Turn over all meat slices to the opposite side, and cook more, on high heat, until all slices brown.
6. Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to combine about 1 minute. Turn off heat and add snow peas and mushrooms – and let sit under a lid for 10-15 minutes before storing.