How did you get started in fitness?
I have always been an athlete. Growing up, I played basketball year round, I ran track, played field hockey and even ice hockey with all boys! It wasn’t until my athletic career ended when I graduated from college in 2008, that I seriously began weight training.
Since I had always been very athletic and competitive, I now needed a new hobby. For years I had admired the fitness competitors that I would read about in various fitness magazines. I was amazed at their beauty & strength, as well as the courage & confidence they portrayed on stage. I had dreams of competing but had no idea how and where to begin, or even if I would ever be able to achieve it. I became connected with the right group of people that guided me to step on stage with the WBFF. I immediately became hooked! NEVER would I have imagined that I would become a WBFF Pro within only a year of competing!
How do you stay motivated in your career?
I am motivated by people telling me that I inspire them to become healthy and fit. It’s extremely humbling knowing that people look up to you and want to be better because of you! I am motivated by the fitness workouts and posts from fitness icons and fellow competitors. Watching my own body change and my strength increase is also very motivating.
What’s your favorite music to workout to?
It really all depends on my mood. However, I love training to hip-hop/rap music, it really gets me pumped up in the gym.
What’s your favorite cheat meal?
My favorite cheat meal is definitely a cheeseburger with sweet potato fries. I also love Nutella, Oreos, pizza, and buffalo wings.
How do you deal with cravings?
When I am prepping for a show and get cravings, I feel my abs and think to myself, “These feel better than the way that tastes!” LOL KIDDING!
On a serious note, when prepping for a show and eliminating cheats that’s when I usually start chewing on some Extra Sugar free dessert gum. I also find that flavored seltzer helps me too. Sugar free Jell-o usually helps with those late night cravings. Or I just chug some green tea or water, brush my teeth, and go to bed!
What does your diet consist of?
When I am not prepping for a show, I continue to eat clean 85 percent of the time. My meals consist of lean protein, carbs, healthy fats, fruits, and veggies. I love egg whites, bison, oatmeal, apples and peanut butter. I could eat these foods everyday and not get tired of them. I really make sure to live a happy, healthy, and balanced lifestyle. However, I do not deprive myself of foods I want because honestly, I love and enjoy food way too much.
When I am prepping for a show, my coaches Diana Chaloux and Micah Lacerte of HitchFit.com customize a training and nutrition plan to get my body show ready. Usually my competition prep involves carb cycling for a few weeks. I am looking forward to seeing the plan they come up with as I begin prep for my upcoming show in August.
What are your 3 favorite exercises?
I really love training legs/glutes and shoulders. I also have a new found love for training abs!
These are my 3 favorite exercises for each of those body parts:
1. Weighted Donkey Kicks with the hamstring curl machine – These are one of my favorite exercises because they not only work all three butt muscles (gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus) but they also work your core, lower back, and legs. (Check out the video on my Instagram)
2. Lateral shoulder raises – I love lateral raises! I feel that they are one of the most important shoulder exercises in helping to build a wide V-shape physique. Lately I have been finishing every shoulder workout with 100 nonstop reps with 5 pound dumbbells to really burn out my shoulders!
3. Windshield wipers with a leg raise on a stability ball – I love these because they are challenging since they require a lot of balance. I feel them working my upper and lower abs, along with my obliques! (Check out the video on my Instagram)
Which female celebrity’s physique do you admire the most?
The female physiques I admire are those of fitness models, such as, Chady Dunmore, Jen Jewell, Paige Hathaway, Michelle Lewin, and many more. I think they all have beautiful bodies with incredible glutes, amazing abs, and smokin hot shoulders. I love how they live a healthy balanced lifestyle and maintain their physiques year round.
What celebrity male’s physique do you find idea on guys?
Steve Weatherford of the NY Giants. I admire the way that he stays consistent with his training and healthy lifestyle during the regular football season and the off-season. His workout videos, fitness articles/posts, and healthy meal posts are all motivating and inspiring. He could definitely have a career in fitness modeling or competing once he retires from football!
What supplements would you use or recommend?
I love the Shredz supplements. I took the Alpha female stack for 3 months earlier this year and felt that it helped with building muscle but staying lean. The Shredz protein powder is so yummy too! I also like the MusclePharm aminos, I drink them during my workouts. If I take a preworkout, it’s usually MusclePharm Assault.
What are you top 10 songs to workout to?
My current playlist is a mix of hip-hop and dance music to pump me up in the gym.
1. We Dem Boyz – Wiz Khalifa
2. They Don’t Love You No More – DJ Khaled, JayZ, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, & French Montana
3. Trophies – Young Money & Drake
4. Cut Her Off – K Camp & 2 Chains
5. Yass Bish – Nicki Minaj & Soulja Boy
6. Who Do You Love – YG & Drake
7. F*ckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt – Jay Z & Rick Ross
8. Work – Iggy Azalea
9. Bad – David Guetta & Showtek
10. Teenage Crime (Axwell & Henrik B Remode) – Adrian Lux
What’s next for you?
1) I will be competing in the Pro Bikini division on August 16th 2014at the WBFF World Championships in Vegas at the Cosmopolitan. You can watch it LIVE on Pay Per View!
2) I have a few exciting photo shoots lined up with some AMAZING photographers.
3) I will be helping out at the first ever WBFF Fitness & Fashion Weekend in NYC on July 26th 2014.
4) Continuing to coach girls with posing and stage presentation for my team The Fitness Divas. Ladies can book posing sessions with me by emailing TheFitnessDivas@gmail.com
Do you have any advice or inspirational words for someone who is aspiring to get into the fitness world?
First and foremost, remember to always have fun! Enjoy and embrace every moment of your fitness journey and the challenges that you face along the way. Those challenges are only going to make you stronger and better. Rid your mind of negative thoughts and your life of toxic people that are trying to bring you down. Allow yourself to have 100% trust in the process and your coaches. Find a happy & healthy balance with your training and nutrition, so that you don’t forget to enjoy LIFE!
When competing with the WBFF, you are given an opportunity to really showcase all of your hard work as an athlete. You want to make sure you own the stage and be confident. Smile until it hurts! And most importantly, be proud of yourself for accomplishing something that most people would never imagine doing.
Photos of Coryn Martin
More About Coryn Martin
Weight: “off-season” – 127 lbs
Competition weight – 118 lbs
Born & Resides In: Long Island, New York
Approx Measurements: 34C – 26 – 37
Get the latest fitness models, tips, and pop culture news delivered straight to your inbox.